The Reluctant Housewife or Dorothy Parker Ate My Puppy

"When I got married, I said to my therapist, 'I want to do something creative.' He said, 'Why don't you have a baby?' I hope he's dead now." Joy Behar

Sunday, September 04, 2005

My sunglasses make me look like a beetle


I've fallen off the non-smoking bandwagon, just when I was becoming virtuous. In fact, there's a fag in my hand right now. It's terrible and I must stop again. Damn you pernicious weed.


Too hot for me today, so I'm esconced in my basement hovel, messing around on the internet & eating choc chip cookies.

And I've found someone to accompany me on my night of fun. Hope it doesn't turn into night of tears and overtiredness - that's normally what happens after I've been well fed and watered with alcohol. Husband says it's OK for me to go out with Old Friend as long as I adhere to some rules. No kissing and no erogenous zone contact. I can't believe he spelt (spelled?) this out for me but at least I know what not to do. Thanks German. I'd put a little smiley face here if I knew how.

Am trying to get to grips with both novel in progess and novel just beginning. Am in love with the latter but can't inject any life into it. Perhaps it's because it's written in the third person. Or maybe I'm trying to be too literary. I'm never going to be Zadie Smith tho' that doesn't matter. I felt a small pang of schadenfreude when I saw the review of her latest novel 'On Beauty' in th Times today. It wasn't glowing and I though hah, you have just as many problems not being pretentious as the rest of us.